The Society for Technical Communication is a professional association dedicated to the advancement of technical communication. Technical communicators research and create information about technical processes or products directed to a targeted audience through various forms of media.
For example, STC members communicate about technical or specialized topics, such as computer applications, medical procedures, or environmental regulations. They communicate by using technology, such as Web pages, help files, or social media sites. And they provide instructions for products and services.
STC advances the theory and practice of technical communication across all user abilities and media so that both businesses and customers benefit from safe, appropriate, and effective use of products, information, and services. Technical communication is an essential part of every organization’s competitive strategy.
The mission of the STC Southern Nevada Chapter is to serve technical communicators and technical communication educators, researchers, managers, and students throughout southern Nevada and southern Utah. STC Southern Nevada is committed to improving the quality and effectiveness of technical communications for audiences throughout these regions.
The STC Southern Nevada Chapter strives to achieve and to work towards the following goals and priorities:
- Explore and create a relationship with UNLV where we focus on donating our technical writing skills. Potential ideas include providing editing services on site or off site for dissertations, grant applications, class papers, proposals, resumes, etc.
- Volunteer as a group in local community service activities such as Three Square Food Bank and United Way of Nevada.
- Explore a mutually beneficial relationship with the local chapter of the American Society for Training & Development (ASTD) professional organization.
- Continue to have presentations, but from outside the group. Presentations continue to be a major focus item. We feel that we exhausted our internal knowledge, but we want to continue presentations from outside our group when the opportunities arise.
- Donate our technical writing services to other non-profit organizations.
See our About > Officers page.
See our About > Meetings page.
See our About > Timeline page.